Medical school graduates, pursuing residency training in the United States are invited to apply for SAMS Scholarship program!
The high cost of pursuing higher training in the U.S. has been one of the many obstacles for Syrian medical students because of the traveling expenses and MATCH expenses accrued during the interviewing process. To support Syrian medical students pursue their residency training in the U.S., SAMS launched a scholarship program in 2006. This program has grown immensely over the last few years to support a larger number of Syrian medical students as they begin their residency. More than 250 Syrian medical graduates have received loans through our scholarship program, of whom the vast majority have matched and are current residents or practicing doctors in the U.S. or other countries.
Through this program, SAMS offers monetary loans to selected applicants. Awardees are expected to repay their interest-free loans, upon matching in residency, over two years. If an awardee does not match in a residency program, his/her loan will be forgiven unless he/she matches at a later date.
In order to be eligible for this opportunity, you must:
- Be a Syrian medical school graduate or a Syrian national who graduated from a foreign medical school and must be applying for the ERAS match this year.
- Have a very good English language measured by face-to-face or phone interview
- Have a minimum score of 220 in both USMLE step 1 and step 2 CK
- Have received ECFMG Certificate
- Demonstrate need for financial assistance
- USMLE Step 1 & Step 2 CK scores (3-digit results)
- ECFMG Certificate
- Copy of your medical school diploma
- Copy of the first page of your passport
- Copy of your valid U.S. visa or status
- A personal photo
- An updated curriculum vitae
Please note that applying for SAMS Scholarship program does not guarantee to receive the interest-free loan since this is a very competitive process with limited resources. However, the SAMS Scholarship Committee will do its best to provide all eligible applicants with loans.
To apply to this interest-free loan please forward all needed documents to [email protected].