To build and foster a network of medical professionals in the United States and beyond and provide the educational, networking, and professional services they need.
To provide medical training opportunities to our members, support dignified medical care to patients in need, and create activities to promote and foster community spirit.
In 2016, SAMS Doubled Its Membership, reaching more than 800 members.
SAMS is proud to be a one of the leading humanitarian and educational organizations, harnessing the talents of healthcare professionals across the United States and beyond.
The Syrian American Medical Society (SAMS) was founded in 1998 as a professional and educational medical society. Through its annual conferences, international meetings, fundraising events, and medical missions, SAMS provide a platform for exchange of ideas and best practices, recognition of humanitarian leaders and medical professionals, and educational training on cutting-edge medical relief work. Additionally, SAMS provides its members with opportunities to engage in the humanitarian crisis in Syria and in neighboring countries. Currently, SAMS has more than 900 grassroots members and 25 chapters across the United States.
To view our latest bylaws governing SAMS, please click here.
The objectives of SAMS encompass a range of professional, educational, humanitarian and cultural activities.
- To enhance the medical knowledge of SAMS members and to support continuing medical education.
- To promote and organize professional relationships between SAMS members and medical organizations in North America, Syria, and other countries.
- To provide routine and emergency medical care to patients in need. Help is provided through medical missions, financial and logistical support of clinics and hospitals in the devastated regions in Syria, and donations of medicine and medical supplies.
- To sponsor online workshops, textbooks, and other learning materials for needy medical students in Syria.
- To advocate, support, and implement the professional and humanitarian vision of SAMS members and health care professionals in the United States and worldwide.
- To organize activities and programs for SAMS members which highlight the shared Syrian heritage and to foster community spirit.